Sunday 22 January 2017

Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline

This book was gifted to me by a friend with a very enthusiastic recommendation. Which is fortunate, because honestly it's not the sort of thing I would otherwise have chosen to read. I never buy science fiction books, and yet this one sent me on a real sci-fi kick for two weeks.



Ernest Cline's book is the first in a long time that I could hardly put down. I read a lot, but seldom do I enjoy books as much as this one. The story of Wade's - aka Parzival - quest to win the greatest competition in human history is riveting. It starts with a bang and constantly drops shock cliff-hangers to keep the reader engaged.

Sure, it's cheesy and ridiculous in places, and often badly written, and some of it just doesn't make sense... but that's actually quite endearing. It makes the book rather like the 80s songs, TV shows, and movies that it frequently references. It is fun, exciting, thrilling in the same way they were. 

No comments:

Post a Comment